Saturday 28 April 2012

Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. @ Il Motore 27/04/12

Yesterday, I went to go see Acid Mothers Temple. Why? I'm not sure myself. I've never listened to any of their albums. Maybe because they're a experimental Japanese band, and some of my favourite music falls under that category. Or maybe because the band members have great hair. Well I'm glad I went because it was a real blast.

The opening band was a rather obscure Psychedelic Indie Rock outfit hailing from New York known as The Phantom Family Hero. I have literally not heard a single song from them until the show, but boy, did they put on a fun show. It started out with two members of the band going on stage with white tank tops with an upside down triangle on it and they had masks on. They faced away from the audience, got down on their knees and bowed down for a couple seconds. They then got up and went to their instruments as the other members (who are dressed normally) got on stage. There was no explanation for this. They have a great stage presence. The bassist wore Kanye glasses and a tacky Hawaiian shirt while dancing a little while he played. The lead guitarist has a huge afro and an LCD display banner with the band name on his guitar. They looked like they had a lot of fun playing, that's really important since it rubs off on the audience. The music was pretty nice. The second song they played was my favourite, which had a long noise jam section with an improvisational sax solo that just blew up with intensity. I had to buy their CD after the show to check their studio work. I might rip it and post it on this blog.

AMT was up next. Their performance pretty much made me speechless. It was a unique kind of show that I never experienced before. They played with such intensity, especially the guitarist. I'll just post the video of the entire show, save for the encore. I suggest that you watch at least the ending, at 1 hour 15 minutes in. I ended buying their Live as Troubadour LP.
Some people took the opportunity to do some drugs. I remember the faint aroma of marijuana when AMT got on stage. On guy was clearly out of his mind, diving off a crate onto the small crowd. It was sorta funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment