Sunday 6 May 2012

Eleanor Friedberger @ Il Motore 05/05/12

Today I went to go see Hospitality, really. Eleanor was an added bonus. I think it's the first time I went to a show were the opening band was the one I really wanted to see. They really a simple but catchy album this year so I wanted to check them out. The first thing I noticed was just how empty the place was. It's a small venue, but still. When Hospitality started playing, there were maybe 5 people there. There were only about 30 by the end of the night. By far the smallest show I've been to.

Both bands played their sets backwards for some reason. Eleanor later explained that because it was a full moon or some shit like that. Whatev. Hospitality was a fun band. Their songs are just as catchy as they are on their studio album. Simple, fun songs. Some of the bass grooves really got my pussy wet. I like how both the guitarist and bassist had solos. Not much else to say. Nice set. I recommend their self-titled release.

It was my first time to really listen to singer/songwriter Eleanor Friedberger. I suppose it was okay, it's just not my sort of thing. I didn't think her songs were all that catchy or memorable, aside one song that had an awesome guitar solo with really solid drumming. I thought the bass was really boring and uninvolved. Even the bassist himself was kind of boring to watch. I can't say they were terrible. It just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment